Archives for category: Studio Equipment Repair and Maintenance

I have a few sets of the old school Simmons octagonal drum pads…

One set is a black and blue gradient pattern which is cool.  The other was just black.  The black set looked pretty beat when i got it and i am using it live so i decided to give it a new coat of paint~!

I was careful to tape off the area where the logos are to protect them.  They look pretty sharp!

:::

::: IF :::

Another day another project.  these came as a pair and are very close in serial numbers.  they have slightly different build features though.  One has 11 pin octal sockets and the other has 8 pin sockets…

Also they are very dirty.  I am going to use some white vinegar to peel the smokey dirt from the faceplates.  They will look much nicer then!  And honestly for the price the pair was worth it for the tubes alone.

Old Mullard , RCA, and even the Concertone tubes are very nice and hard to come by these days…

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

::: IF :::

Florian Schneider from Kraftwerk sale:

Link

 

::: IF :::

I had a Simmons SDSV in storage in the underground garage of our apartment building.  It’s exactly like the other one I have written about here before.  It had the Kick, Snare, Tom, Tom, Tom cards and an MFB sequencer that i installed in the last two slots.  One day I went to the basement garage to retrieve it to loan to a friend for a recording project and got a surprise.  Much to my dismay, the cement ceiling of the garage had a leak and it happened to run along that ceiling to directly above the box i had stored the Simmons in.  I didn’t even worry at first after the initial shock because i had wrapped the boxed gear in plastic for storage.

This is where things got ugly…

Apparently the water had saturated the top of the box and began to run into the large wrapped bag protecting the gear.  I really couldn’t believe it, the entire bag was FULL OF WATER.

Not just crappy rain water either.  I was mineral rich leeched water from the cement Which had solidified again and formed a crusty hard calcium like layer all over and inside of the Simmons.  After the shock, anger, depression, and acceptance of this catastrophe i decided with resolve that i had to save this instrument.  I felt like it was my duty to do so.  It took a long time to accomplish and a subsequently longer time to be able to get my thoughts together into a post on the subject.

So it begins.  Part One: The Damage Done

:::

::: IF :::

While we are on the subject of Garfield Electronics gear…

I have been trying to get this one going for a little while and i haven’t quite figured it out.  I got it as ‘completely working’ from Ebay and of course its not.  Luckily i have another one that works great to compare it against.  As with most topics i discuss on this blog, it’s impossible to find a manual let alone a service document for these.

Upon receiving this unit i noticed that the triplet triggers weren’t firing but the straight divisions were.  When i opened it up the arpeggio trigger wiring looked completely different from the other unit i have.  So i reconfigured the wires the way i assume they are supposed to be and it didn’t fix the problem.  I also replaced some caps that were leaking and obviously bunk.

At this point i decided maybe one of the chips had failed.  They are all cheap and easy to find so i bought one of each and plan to start at one end and hope to fix it before reaching the other!  These multi pin chips are a pain in the butt to pull so i am socketing the replacements…

More to come…

:::

::: if :::