Man, now that i have that miserable discovery off my chest we can get on with the learning part.  I ended up doing several levels of disassembling, cleaning, rewiring, recapping, and preserving to get this Simmons SDS V back into shape and onto the block to continue hustling.

1, First, there was a major hurdle in trying to get at all the related boards inside.  The back plane PCB that all the cards seat into was riveted to the chassis.  So i got out the trusty stepped drill bit set and drilled out all of the rivets.  I bought a bag of lock nuts and bolts to reassemble it later.

2, The back plate PCB was also soldered to the Mix/PSU card and had about 20+ pins to it.  I really wanted to figure out some kind of connector for this but there just wasn’t enough space to make it happen.  I was forced to delicately desolder it without damaging the back plate PCB to get the boards entirely out.

3, I also managed to disassemble the cards themselves.  The faceplate covers up a double row of trim pots that are used to determine 3 of the ‘programable’ presets.  These were completely saturated with white silt from the flooding and i wanted to have good access for cleaning purposes.

4, To clean the chassis, boards and other parts i used a combination of soap with warm water, vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, and elbow grease to repeatedly wash and delicately scrub the parts.  I did this several times.  Each one removed more of the cemented silt until i had cleaned out all the pots, and removed as much as i could from all internal and external surfaces.

5, There was a fair amount of corrosion that had occurred on some surfaces that were exposed to air and the silt water together.  I carefully scrubbed these and tried to remove any rust, corrosion, and decayed paint without hurting the surviving lettering and original pained look.  I then treated these surfaces with Rust-oleum Enamel to seal the exposed metal as protection.  This was applied to the outer chassis and both sides of the black back connector plate.

6, While i had the electronics apart i  recapped the whole chassis and also added some connectors to ease any future work.  this included socketing the ribbon cable that connects to the PSU board, and also popping a connector on the other side of the back plate board so the whole unit could be disassembled in the future.

7, The back connector panel has a host of ground leads, ribbon connectors, and power wiring attached to it.  When i cleaned the back panel i was careful to save all of those harnesses so i could use them again.  It was difficult and required a ton of patience.

8, I was able to source a new set of knob caps from Ed Rose on the Yahoo Simmons List so that the cards could have a spiffy new look.

9, Lastly i salvaged an old Peavey head cabinet that fits the Simmons SDSV pretty well.  I may keep it in there permanently!

:::

:::

More to come…

::: IF :::