Archives for the month of: November, 2011

So, the Oberheim DX Stretch is working and i figured i’d do an update to the repair post from earlier.  The Clap button is still non functional but the part is in the mail and will be fixed soon. i figured i could put the machine through some testing to see if the upgrades and other bits are working ok.

This file is based on one longer pattern.  The DX was synced to a Simmons SDS-V to add some fun layering and make sure the Memory, Sync I/O, and CPU  are working solidly.  The SDS-V is triggered by a sequence programmed into an internally mounted MFB SEQ-01 ( that’s another post all together ). Also, i added one crash cymbal ( there is NONE natively in the DX )

This is not my SDS-V but has a similar mod for example:

They were both clocked to a Roland SBX80. RADD!

Chekkit:

Full Track:

 

Simmons mix only ( for reference )

I.F…

I always come back to this record.  It has just the right amount of organized and free-for-all which can be a hard line to ride.

It’s truly a set it and forget it on repeat all day kind of record.  I like that about it too.

Hello!

Today is the day.  I finally have the parts to upgrade the DX Stretch to have MIDI, MRAM Static Ram ( no more battery ), and the newest OS and Sync functionality.

This required removing the battery, old ram chips, and Z80 chip, installing the new CPU board above the tape sync board, and reconnecting all the ribbon cables in their new destination sockets.  Lastly i drilled out the side panel to fit the MIDI I/O jacks on the right side and placed the new function decals on the face plate.

The parts were supplied by Paul at Electron Gate of course!

Here we go:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

SWEET!

( Pics Via J-Poo )

I’ve had this J-60 for almost 20 years.  It sounds crazy i know.  I got it in a trade back when these were practically free. It was an “i’ll throw in this old keyboard” type of deal.

So it’s always been happy except for 3 or 4 sliders that were dry and got damaged by someone forcing them to move.  It doesn’t look like anything was even spilled in there!  I located some replacements but upon further inspection i found i could refurbish most of the original ones.  This required desoldering them from the main board and disassembling them by un-pinching the tabs on the metal housing to get at the innards.  i then  flattened out the bent metal runners that had been mangled over the years.  After cleaning the parts and adding some new grease i reassembled them for reinstallation.

Here’s some pics of the process…

Photos courtesy of J-poo

=D

I.F.

Happy XBSsgiving!!!!!